Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Intelligent football! (from a so-so player, yet)


A good reflection of how football is no longer a working class game but an intelligent and intentional sport from Arsenal's current top scorer.


Despite all the debate around Thierry Henry's departure from Arsenal, Emmanuel Adebayor has not let the added pressure of replacing the Frenchman affect his game and, so far this season, has proven that he could be the Gunners' new attacking sensation. (source soccernet.com)


Q. One of the main differences with last season is that Arsenal are competitive at home, impressive I should even say. What has changed?
A. The confidence. It is getting better and better each day, as last season we were struggling on the pitch due a lack of confidence. We started the championship with two or three draws and it affected us. We didn't know what to do, we were not playing intelligently. So far this season, the team is playing without pressure, just focusing on its football and with confidence. It is a good thing for the players and the coach. We are happy all together; we always try to go forward on the pitch with the desire to win.


Q. Does this make Arsenal a serious contender for the title this season?
A. It is too early to say that. The road is still very long. We just want to keep on improving and going one step further each game. We are playing very well currently and we learn a lot. Everybody has seen how mature we have been so far and now each player knows how to play for 90 minutes. Even when we are behind, we don't panic. We have to keep this dynamic. We control the ball, that makes everything easier and makes it more difficult for our opponents.

Q. Are you back in your best shape after the injury troubles you have been through over the summer?
A. I was feeling really well physically and mentally before my injury in Austria. That was really hard to accept and to live with at the start. It really affected me. I knew I would miss the first two or thee games of the season and there's nothing more important than the summer's preparation. But now I'm back and I'm playing. I can't play three games a week yet as I'm not at 100% - perhaps only 80% I'd say. It will take some time but I will get there.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home