Saturday, May 06, 2006

This is a Great car... no need to test drive!

'WV' has got a new car in town! The model 'V3' is the latest craze in europe cos of its funky design with 28 different colours to choose from and boast lastest 1.6l technological advance. The price is at a supperb S$38,900 only! Cheaper than vans!
Great for buyers like you and me right. I am going to get one from Leng Kee Rd. You wanna get one with me? Come on cheap cheap and latest model.


For car buyers and owners out there, what will you do?

-Will you just say 'Yes i want one too'?
-Or will you say hey 'How come you not going for test drive first, there are so many car models out there'?
-Let me 'Check it out first. Must make sure'?

Where am I coming to?

I am talking about this watershed election for me.

Any good friends will ask
'Why is this election such a watershed for you when you are in a walkover ward?'

Did you ask me... are you a friend who asked already?

My rough short blog answer:-
I am at the age of consciousness, 30 years old. Having gone thro 'world class' uni education and trying to use my educated mind to get a grip on whats happening about me. 'Class room education cannot apply in real life' many have told me anyway.
At my age, I am making choices in my life now. I am starting to feel and know that things do happen out there. That I shouldn't see things in a selfish light. I want to be part of a first class, world class populace and society. I want to be a participating understanding empathetic human being before i die.

So what should i do to be one?

I think i should be more:-
Involved
Open my heart and mind
Absorb more
Understand
Get to know more ppl
Get to know what 'represents' the ppl that i already know, where they 'come from'
Love
Decide
'I want to know, tell me more'
etc

Be less:-
Cynical
Apathatic
High and Mighty
Know it all
A Follower
Singaporean kiasu kiasi


I don't think that a difficult task right?
The points above transcend whether i am a civil servant, boy, girl, policeman, armyboy, businessman, student, teacher, unemployed, employed, in love, out of love, boring or outgoing, mahjong or blackjack player, hokkien, cantonese, mandarin, french or english... gossh i think i have been one of above at one point of time or another. Except the girl part of cos.

Through the past few weeks though:-
I get the feeling and thinking that in my society,
some soceity members cannot understand alternative view from himself or herself, or simply put it, see where the other person is coming from. My society doesn't have the finesse to take the time to know fully before standing his or her grounds and stick by it for awhile. Tat the society that i stay in may be questionable but not willing to question.
Some people don't even know what is happening and what voting is about.

So back to the question i pose myself, why the watershed?

I now have learnt, the many differences and view points of our civil society.
I bothered myself to listen and understand where a person is coming from. To get some facts and information before I make an impression for myself.
I don't based on hear say, I don't based on herd mentality.
I base my vote (although technically i don't have a vote cos of walkover) on what I have learnt and heard.
I am not a herd nor a shepard.

I make my choice after knowing the sum of its parts


In other words, I base my choice to buy the new car cos i went for a test drive.


This election for me is not to create a divide between me and the frens and ppl i know becos of the vote each of us stand for. Politics should never divide ppl cos we are a first world country with first world education.

This election does show however that there are ppl in society who may not be as sophisticated as our economic and educational status would allow us to believe in the world. That many are herds, that many can make a decision based on what others have told them. That many can make a choice based on an impression that he or she didn't experience first hand.
That some cannot create a 'paradigm shift' or put on a 'yellow hat'.

I don't blame them. Our education isn't 'tuned' that way to begin with in the first place. We haven't learnt what it is like to be a civil society.

However this election shows where my divide lies...



I know what I want becos I went looking for what I wanted to know.


Do you want to test drive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home