Monday, May 08, 2006

The mandate gathered in FACTS!

Now that the rhetorical is over, Lets look at facts!

In sum of the wards contested by WP. (source The Straits Times -ST)

total votes cast votes won
Hougang 22,293 13,987 WP seat
Joo Chiat 18,799 6,577
Nee Soon Central 21,737 7,527
Nee Soon East 30,478 9,533
Aljunied GRC 133,395 58,585
East Coast GRC 104,757 37,867
AMK GRC 146,059 49,468

Total 477,518 183,544

183,544 voters casted their votes for the WP!


Know lets try to look at its significance and the points that we can learn from this:-

1) WPs voters will fill the national stadium 3 times over! (if capacity capped at 55,000)

2) WPs votes certainly topped the number of ppl who turned up at WP's rallies. ST reports that there were only 10,000 watching the WP's 9 rallies anyway, so to 'them' there were only 90,000 ppl 'in total' at the rallies.
We who attended, knows otherwise, that there could have been 90,000 at each rally.

3) Most rally watchers were regulars, just like me and huiping! Travelling all over Singapore chasing their aspiring leaders, thus causing massive traffic jams all over! Including the major expressways

4) Some rally watches couldn't even vote for WP cos they are in walkover or other opposition contested wards.

5) Rally watches come from all walks of life. I know as I was there to witness.

Enuff for now cos I the PAP wouldn't be able to take such significance. I shall spare them the agony.


The point is. It shows that those who went to WP's rally, DID INDEED support the WP team!

183,544

183,544 of votes is alot. Considering that it is 38.4% (source ST) of the total votes cast. Almost 4 ppl out of 10 sitting in a coffee shop supported WP. Thats almost half. Taking into consideration that out of the reminding 6 ppl, 1 would have cast a spoilt vote, did not cast or voted SDP, and 1 to SDA (Chiam), that means only leaving 4 ppl only supporting PAP!


The rallies also shown a few other things ( I cannot only talk about WP right)

1) Very few ppl turn up for PAP rallies (hundreds or so - ST)

2) Many ppl (maybe 1 million) did not even turn up for any rallies (there are 1.22 million voters this time - ST)


The most pertinent we can see now is:-

The profile of those who voted for PAP I gather is:-

1) PAP workers, civil servants, public servants (I make a guess here is that most of them are on duty anyway so they have didn't have a choice), RC members, CCC members, PA members???

2) And (the most annoying and disturbing fact), ppl who didn't know who to vote but just did so anyway.


Don't get me wrong, I am not pro-opposition or anti-PAP.
I am just but a student of this watershed election.
I also cry cos there are signs that civil society is just about to sprout in Singapore. And the seeds do come from the 'very people' who represent our nation's people.
I also cry cos I discovered myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home