Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Sweet Spot

I had a fantastic soccer game on Saturday!
The grass patch was bad as usual, the weather threatening, the patch was somewhere in Tanglin... the opponents looked good too!

This team, comprising of Wendell's Church people whom I used to play with quite regularly, finally turned up and when we started, I felt that my body was quite ready to play the game knowing that i was playing with like-minded players, at 9am some more.

The game started off good, I was able to control the midfield with the very intelligent midfield Josh and knowing the the ever willing Wendell was playing the defensive midfield role, I got into my stride.

With superb first touch and clever passes, the team was controlling the game and we went into a 2-0 lead within 15 minutes. What I want to comment is that the passing in this team is great. The players are good on the ball not cos they have superb ball-stick-to-foot-kind of skills, but rather, they are composed and not not hurried. Every player will hold the ball for 2 seconds or so, making the ball theirs, before looking up to find a player to pass to. Thats what I call ball possession.

Than came my turn. A long punt upfield that was sort of 'deliberately' missed by myself. Hey it was prob a goalkick and the ball was fast and high, I didn't ready need to challenge yet and let the ball bounce over me. The defender sort of made a mess of trapping the ball as no one was even near him and managed to control the ball with his 'hands'.

I ran up first to the ball took it and readied myself for the direct.

Looking for the spot to kick on the my favourite addidas ball, I placed the ball and due to the way i position my feet, everyone will know that i will take a left foot shot. Took exactly 3 steps back, complained to the ref about the wall, pretend to look around for options but knowing that i wouldn't, took 1 huge side-step, took my run-up and even though the keeper made a fantastic move to his right and got his fingers to it, it was no stopping, my 'postage stamp' free-kick GOAL.

2 Comments:

At Tue May 16, 04:37:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whAT A GAME. GOT BRUISED UP. AND FINALLY GOT A GOAL.

 
At Wed May 17, 09:05:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will be many more goals to come kenn! Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home